Z-Mode Onboard Preamp - Overview
The 3ZB modules have been replaced by the Pro Z Module
The 3ZB model is our highly configurable offering. It has a bass guitar
preamp and Z-Mode impedance control all in one module. The preamp pictured
below has an Active/Passive switch, 2 bands of eq control and a tone
or passive type treble roll off. You can go up to a 4 bands
or simplify all the way down to no EQ, it's up to you.
- • Z-Mode switch
- Standard on all units, selects one of three sounds while playing: High
Z, Mid Z, and Low
- • Adjustable
- Set for each pickup, it allows you to adjust the resonate
peak frequency in High Z mode.
- • Adjustable gain
- Set for each pickup, it allows you to adjust the gain in Low
Z mode (see section on Adjustments below).
- • LED Battery Level Indicator
- On power up, it's flash sequence gives an intuitive indication
of your battery's strength
- • Flexible configuration options:
- • Volume/Volume, or Volume, Balance Controls
• Optional Active/Passive Bypass Switch
- • Highly configurable EQ:
- • No EQ;
• Passive Style High Frequency Roll Off;
• Active Style EQ;
3 Band with or without
a Mid Frequency selection switch; or
4 Band EQ
- • Pre-wired to your specification
for easy installation
• 9 or 18 volts with long battery life
• Works with Passive pickups, single or dual
• Small module - 1"W x 2"L x 0.5"D
• Stacked or Individual controls (knobs are not included).
Adjustments on the Module Top
Each module has 4 adjustments to optimize the preamp for your personal
#1) High Z-Mode Capacitance for the Bridge Pickup - top left
#2) and Neck Pickup Capacitance - top right
#3) Low Z-Mode Gain for the Bridge Pickup - bottom left
#4) and Neck Pickup Gain - bottom right.
These high quality adjusters feature 11
turns of adjustment range.
A mini 1mm screwdriver is provided to make the adjustments.
Even though you will probably only adjust the preamp once during the
initial instillation - we recommend storing this small very light weight
your electronics cavity
Our high quality pots are compact
for ease of fit: 6mm shaft diameter (combined 8mm when stacked), with
a 10mm bushing length to fit both panels and solid wood top construction;
9mm square and 7mm deep for singles, 12mm deep for stacked pots.
- Volume and Balance Controls
- A single pickup preamp comes with one Volume control.
Dual pickups can use a wider range of options and come in Master
Volume and/or Volume & Volume or Vol/Vol stacked or Volume
and Balance configurations.
- Tone Controls
- Passive Treble Roll Off, No tone controls, or up to 4 band EQ.
We've have 7 different options to choose from - and that's just the
- The Z mode switch comes with the base module and we offer versions
with an Active/Passive switch (passive override). The switch bushings
are 1/4" diameter, 9.0mm length; the finish is chrome and each
switch comes with additional decorative washer and nut sets; in both
Black Nickel and Gold for versatile finishing.
- You configure the preamp to suit your bass and we will do the wiring.
High temperature Teflon jacket is used for the wires preamp installers
will need to make solder connections with, for example, pickup connection
leads. All wiring is color coded and the wire is 24 AWG with 19 sub-strands
for increased flexibility.
- Our on-board preamp module is just about the size of a 9V battery:
2.0"L x 1.0"W x 0.55"H as can be seen in the picture
(width same as battery).
- The module is pre-wired per your order, you will need to attach
the pickup wires, install the Battery Indicator LED and attach the
controls to the body.
- Double sided tape patches are included
To use our preamp, you must have PASSIVE PICKUPS, meaning that the
pickup does NOT have a semiconductor component in it (transistor, op-amp
etc). If you are uncertain about your pickups, check with the manufacturer
or send Sales an email.