Classic Preamp - Overview
The Classic series has been upgraded
The Classic model is a 4 Band on-board preamp that is easy to use
and install as an upgrade in your existing bass. Despite
low price, you get
more extensive tone control
plus our well known natural clarity.
It comes in 6 different control configurations and optional knob
packages are available in 4 different finishes; Black, Chrome, Gold,
and Gold Satin.
- • 4 Band Tone Control
- • Fixed conventional pickup loading - equivalent to Mid Z-Mode
- • Pre-wired for easy installation
- • 9 or 18 volts with very long battery life
- • Active balance control
- • Works with dual Passive pickups using our DC pickup connection
- • Optional coupling caps allow use with Active pickups
- • Simple modifications allow it to be used with a single pickup
- • Small module - 1"W x 2"L x 0.55"
Our high quality pots are compact
for ease of fit: 6mm shaft diameter (combined 8mm when stacked), with
a 10mm bushing length to fit both top plates and solid wood top construction;
9mm square and 7mm deep body for singles, 12mm deep for stacked pot
- Volume Control
- Audio taper control for better low level performance.
- Balance Control
- Pot has a center detent and uses the Active circuit which creates
more usable sounds options as the pickup mix is changed.
- Volume/Balance Control
- Volume control is on top and is an Audio taper.
Balance is on the bottom and uses the Active circuit. There is
no center detent on the stacked control.
- Tone Controls
- Same active 4 Band circuit as in our 3ZB preamps, it is available
in 4 different arrangements of the controls:
1) Treble/Bass and High-Mid/Low-Mid (2 pots)
2) High-Mid/treble and Low-Mid/Bass(2 pots) *
3) High-Mid, Low-Mid, Treble/Bass (3 pots)
4) High-Mid, Low-Mid, Treble, Bass (4 pots)
* Configuration 2 is a bit unusual, but it plays great and is my personal
By putting the Mids on the top of the concentric pots they are easier
- You select the configuration which fits your
bass and we will do the wiring. High temperature Teflon jacket is
used for the wires
that require solder connections during installation; for example,
pickup connection leads. All wiring is color coded and the wire is
24 AWG with 19 sub-strands for increased flexibility.
We also provide you with some heat shrink pieces so you can do a
professional job of insulating your wiring joints.
- The classic preamp module is just about the size of a 9V battery:
2.0"L x 1.0"W x 0.55"H as can be seen in the picture
(the width is the same as the battery).
- The module is pre-wired per your order. You will need to attach
the pickup wires, install the Battery and attach the
controls to the body. PDF of the Classic
- Double sided tape patches are included for mounting the module.